TV Ratings Guide Halloween Special: The Best Halloween Movies

Well, it's that time of the year again. Halloween is around the corner, and that means that it's time for Halloween movies, arguably the most fun part of Halloween. Other than candy, of course.


Rebecca Bunch's Top Five Halloween Movies
I'll just start by saying that I'm not a big fan of scary movies. The scariest thing that I'll watch is American Horror Story. So my movies obviously will only include movies that don't have much death, gore, or thrills. But if that's your thing, stick around for the end of this post.

1) For Halloween, Hocus Pocus is Your Best Bette:


Hocus Pocus is a Halloween classic. ABC Family (I still refuse to call it by that stupid name that begins with an F) airs it almost every day during their "13 Nights of Halloween" Marathons. One reason for that is that it is a great movie. Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, and Kathy Najimy are all great in their roles, and it can be watched over and over again. And also, Bette Midler's version of I Put A Spell On You is the best version.

2) Whatever You Do, Don't Say it Three Times:

Beetlejuice.Beetlejuice. Beetleju- I won't say it again. This movie remains a classic after three decades. It's possibly the best Tim Burton film. And it's a helluva lot of  fun to watch. Geena Davis and Alec Baldwin are perfect in their roles. And this movie makes you feel the strangest things (see what I did there?). Of course you want Beetlejuice to appear. He's an awesome character. But you also really hate him at the end. And it also makes me want to slap Lydia's parents every damn time.

3) It's Astounding:

Sure, this may be the strangest movie of all time. But it's also one of the most fun. It may not be spooky. And I'm not 100% sure what qualifies it as a Halloween movie. But it's still great. It has the catchiest songs, and I always just want to yell "Dammit Janet!" at the top of my lungs whenever I see Susan Sarandon. This movie is a cultural icon, and it's funny, catchy, and strange, all at the same time. And also, " Touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me!"

4) They're Creepy and They're Kooky:

If you've seen my post about the Addams Family, you know that I love it dearly. And I love the movies, The Addams Family and Addams Family Values, almost as much. Addams Family Values managed to do the impossible: it managed to be a sequel that is better than the (superb) first movie. These movies are truly great, and they don't ruin the original content, something far too many remakes manage to do.


5) Everybody Grab your Brooms:

This movie may not be as famous as Hocus Pocus, The Rocky Horror Picture Show, or Beetlejuice. But it's still pretty fun. This movie was my childhood. I watched it all the time. I love it so much that I have an autographed copy of the Halloweentown DVD signed by Debbie Reynolds. I treasure it . This movie is something that, all of these years later, I still love to watch.

Honorary Mention: It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

If this Halloween classic had a runtime of longer than 25 minutes (which means it technically isn't a movie), it would definitely be in my Top 5. It's just so awesome. It defines the Halloween Spirit and what it's all about. All of the other Halloween specials bow down to it.

Jon (Crazy Ex-Nashville Fan)
1) The Addams Family

I was scrolling through the channels last year, and I saw this movie on Freeform. I started watching it and I was instantly hooked! Sad I only have known about such a great movie for a year. I love this movie because of the different plot. I mean what other family is like this? It’s funny, it is different, it is Halloween themed, what more is needed? The Addams Family really is the last movie in its genre. You know the type of Halloween themed episode of a show that is set years back, and has some crazy scientist in a small town doing weird-Halloweeney things? The Addams Family is the last movie that really went on that plot, and I love it.

2) Fun Size

 Maybe I am the only one who is a fan of this forgotten Halloween film, but I shouldn’t be. Fun Size was about a girl who was supposed to take her brother trick-or-treating, and lost him. Her and her friends scout for him all night which takes them on an amazing journey on one of the craziest nights of the year. Fun Size had it all. Comedy. Perfect Halloween elements, and a really great story. I would definitely recommend watching it before Tuesday.

3) The Nightmare Before Christmas 

This is one of my top Halloween movies for so many reasons. One of those being how unique the movie is. It has such an interesting, and different plot than all the other holiday movies. Watching this movie really makes me excited for the season. I love it so much. It is also great because it is partially Christmas themed, and I love Christmas!

4) Scream – Film Series:
While there are a lot of really good, Halloween movies, some that have been a favorite for almost all my life, every year, my number one movie to watch around the scariest holiday of the year is Scream. First off let me say something, I LOVE scary movies, I LOVE slasher movies, and I LOVE Halloween. So all three combined is the absolute best combination. Scream was probably the movie that started the slasher horror craze, and 20 years later it is still so popular. It is fun, scary, and has a lot of blood – those are a few things I like about it. Throughout the season I watch it quite a few times and every time feels like the first. I love to watch it late at night and just get into the murder. It really makes the Halloween season, and with it and Halloween being scary it is perfect. You should watch it this season!

5)Halloweentown 

While an old movie, I still find this as one of the best classics. Halloweentown is probably the most popular children’s Halloween movie. I really love it so much. I remember as a kid, I would always watch this movie during the season, and it gave me so many good memories. It is one of the symbols of Halloween to me.

Bridger Cunningham's Top 5 Halloween Films

1) Halloween (1978)
A fitting classic with slick production values.  It had an authentic feel to it as the series hadn't strayed too far from realism yet.


2) The Funhouse
A forgotten movie that seems to show up around this time of the year.  The scares were subtle and it had a great opening sequence like Halloween.

3) Halloween II (1981)
Kind of cheesy and strayed from realism.  But still captured the imminent doom element.  The hot tub scene was hilarious, the hallway scenes terrifying.  Along with that parking lot.

4) Night of the Living Dead (1968)
Still trippy.

5) The Fog (1980)
 Quite possibly one of the best movies which still freaks me out.  The campfire tale, the town falling apart, that boat, and most frightening of all when Adrienne Barbeau lashes the hook at the ghost, and worms come out of the face!  The remake was a joke.


Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »