Summer Renew/Cancel Predictions - August 14: Significant Mother Will Likely be Canceled

Hi! In case this is your first time reading my summer renew/cancel predictions post, I'm Hunter and I will be posting these predictions each weekend this summer, covering the summer shows on the five major broadcast networks. This is week nine, and while not much happened this week other than the ever-so-hated football preemptions, my predictions will still be just as exciting. Here are the summer shows divided into categories, and then my in-detail thoughts on a few of them. Enjoy!

Format for predictions:
Show title (network) (average adults 18-49 rating)

Certain to be Canceled
The Astronaut Wives Club (ABC) (0.8)
Dates (CW) (0.1)
Golan the Insatiable (FOX) (0.5)
The Whispers (ABC) (0.9)

Will Likely be Canceled
Extant (CBS) (0.7)
Mistresses (ABC) (0.8)
Rookie Blue (ABC) (0.7)
Significant Mother (CW) (0.3)

Toss-Up
Mr. Robinson (NBC) (1.1)

Will Likely be Renewed

Certain to be Renewed
Under the Dome (CBS) (1.0)
Zoo (CBS) (1.1)

Fate Determined
A.D.: The Bible Continues (NBC) CANCELED
American Odyssey (NBC) CANCELED
Aquarius (NBC) RENEWED
Beauty and the Beast (CW) RENEWED
Hannibal (NBC) CANCELED
Wayward Pines (FOX) CANCELED
Welcome to Sweden (NBC) CANCELED

Yet to Premiere
The Carmichael Show (NBC)

Last week I talked about how difficult it was to predict Significant Mother's chances. This week it got a lot easier. While Whose Line rose to a 0.5 (last week it got 0.4), Significant Mother fell to a 0.2 (last week it got 0.3). Last summer, the second episode of comedy Seed got a 0.2 after a Whose Line repeat that got a 0.6. While the lead-in for Significant Mother wasn't quite as good, Seed was yanked after episode two, that's how badly the CW thought it was doing. Significant Mother may get to air all of its episodes, but it is looking like it will be canceled.

This week Extant is once again likely to be canceled, even though last week I moved it up to a toss-up. Extant could go up again, and then down again, if its ratings cause me to move it like that. I have decided that if Extant gets twice as many 0.8s as it gets 0.7s airing after Big Brother, I will move it up to "toss-up". If it gets less than twice as many 0.8s, it will be at "will likely be canceled". At this point, Extant has gotten two 0.7s and three 0.8s airing after Big Brother.

While Significant Mother and Extant, for a second time, have moved out of the "toss up" category, Mr. Robinson remains there. Last year's summer comedy Undateable was getting slightly worse ratings than Mr. Robinson with a much worse lead-in (repeats of Hollywood Game Night for most episodes). Getting 1.0 out of 1.6 is not that impressive, although the fact that it also got 1.0 at 9:30 is good. Next week, when it airs its final two episodes of season one, I will make a decision, but this may not be a permanent decision, as The Carmichael Show's ratings might make me change my mind on Mr. Robinson.

This week the CW announced that they are developing a US version of Dates as a hour-long pilot. Dates was originally a UK show from a couple of years ago, that the CW decided to air this summer. It only got one season in the UK. Now, I have a question for you, the readers. Does the CW developing a version of Dates count as a renewal for Dates, making me wrong in my prediction (for only the second time this summer)?  Does it count as a renewal only if it gets picked up to series? Or does it not count as a renewal in any way? Please comment on this!

On a related note, next week's episode of The Astronaut Wives Club is the final one of the season. I looked to see if I could find any news about it being advertised as the series finale, but I could not find any. Also, on the show's Twitter they were calling the episode the "season finale". If anyone hears anything about The Astronaut Wives Club's next episode being advertised as the "series finale" please let me know, so I can put it in the "fate decided" category.

Next week, Mr. Robinson will no longer be a toss-up! Come back next week to see what direction it goes.

Do you agree or disagree with my predictions? How do you think the upcoming summer shows will do? Leave a comment with your thoughts!

Share this

Related Posts

Previous
Next Post »